Monday, August 8, 2011

Cooking experimentation....day 1

I've decided that since I am home in Mississauga and I have this excellent and well stocked kitchen available to me, I might as well experiment with food. My family loves it when I cook because I make the most random stuff and somehow, it always turns out well. I am also terrible at following recipes, but anyways.

Today, I made chili tofu with beans and bok choy. I got the recipe from hookedonheat.com. This recipe was not at all spicy, so I added stuff to make it my own. My edits to the recipe are in bold.

Chili Tofu with Beans and Bok Choy
hookedonheat.com

-1 block firm tofu, cubed (make sure the cubes are small)
-2 large bunches bok choy, chopped, green and white seperated (this is WAY too much bok choy and it will take over tastewise, we used half the bok choy and that was still too much)
-1 medium sized onion, finely sliced (my family likes onions and this was a little too much)
-1 small tomato, finely chopped
-1 tablespoon tomato paste (we used two tablespoons)
-1/2 tablespoon tamarind paste (we used 2 tablespoons of tamarind chutney)
-2 large cloves of garlic, finely chopped
-1/2 teaspoon red chili powder (2 teaspoons, but my family likes spicy food)
-1 teaspoon coriander powder
-1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
-2 tablespoon light cooking oil
-salt, to taste
-chili flakes (to taste)
-ketchup so the tofu isn't too dry

Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a deep, non-stick wok. Fry the cubed tofu until they are slightly golden all over. Set aside once the tofu is golden.

Add the remaining oil into the pan, and saute the garlic and onion until the tofu is soft and lightly browned. Add in the spices (red chili, coriander, turmeric power). Add the chili flakes here, as well as the ketchup. Fry for a few seconds.

Throw in the chopped tomato, season with salt, and fry for a few minutes. Add the tomato paste and tamarind extract (tamarind chutney), continue to fry. Make sure the tomatoes break up until they start to dry out and give oil from their sides.

Add in the beans and tofu and stirfry the beans until they are cooked and crisp! Add in the bok choy, and stirfry until it starts to wilt (this will be obvious). Serve warm and enjoy!

This tofu wasn't bad-but I know that if I make it a few more times it will be great!

1 comment:

Dylan Brandon said...

I had the pleasure of working closely with Benjamin lee for several years as business partners. During the time that Ben served as the Mortgage Representative for my home also for my business financing and he helped me closing off loans which really helped me in my business today, we were consistently far above goal and this can only be attributable to Ben hard work. I appreciate your hard work also big thanks to your team for helping me with a loan to grow my business. If you are looking for a loan in any such kindly contact Mr Ben on  247officedept@gmail.com or talk to him on whatsapp    +1---989-394-3740 . Mr Ben is an honest loan officer working with a huge number of investors willing to finance any project.Thankfully, over time our relationship grew beyond wok and I’m still happy to call him a trusted friend.